Teamwork…

Today has been a busy day. Not only at work but also doing an interview for Premier radio about 60@60. On top of all that a blog has been published on the Open Doors website which gives an overview of the 60@60 year.

https://www.opendoorsuk.org/news/latest-news/adrian-fundraising-sixty/

A lot of what I’ve done over the year has been about teamwork. While the vast majority of the activities I’ve done have been undertaken alone no-one is an island unto themselves, as the poet John Donne said. I have needed the help of others. Most obviously this comes with donations: if no-one gave I wouldn’t have got very far. Four people accounted for nearly 40% of the gifts received, some with multiple donations to encourage me at key times. But nearly 100 people comprised the other 60% of gifts received. Everyone, however small the gift, has played a part. However little a role you think you have played in this (or in anything else you are giving yourself to), it is a part in the mosaic of success.

I’m also grateful for those who have been there for me all along the way, especially my greatest encourager. During any long term challenge times of discouragement, fear and indeed despair come and it has been so good to have people who support. People who give new ideas and new perspective. Who show an interest in what you are doing; who genuinely care. Those who are like Barnabas in the Bible whose very name means “Son of encouragement”. Are you and I encouragers; cheerleaders for others when they most need it?

For persecuted Christians, knowing that they are part of something much bigger is so important. Left on their own it can be so difficult for an individual to stand strong against the pressures of family and society. This is especially true for new believers in places like the Middle East. New technologies can be especially helpful in reaching people in difficult to reach situations. Equally, for Christians in prison it means such a lot to know that people are praying for them. Brother Andrew, the founder of Open Doors, tells of how important it was to the first believers he met in communist Eastern Europe to know that they were remembered. It is just as important to believers around the world today to know they are part of a team, that they have family supporting them, that they are not forgotten.

Thanks for reading the latest update!

https://justgiving.com/fundraising/adriansmith6060

Published by adrian60

Turning 60 is a door to a new decade. I want to use these years positively, starting with the next one. So I want it to be a year of trying different things as well as familiar one and to do a couple of challenges. 60 things at 60 with the aim of raising £6 000 for the charity Open Doors, serving persecuted Christians around the world, many who live with very little. Would you be part of the adventure with me?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: